REASON #1: WE WALK THE TALK ON HARM REDUCTION
Since our inception, Nine Circles has implemented the principles of harm reduction in all our work. Your donations allow us to continue & strengthen these services, ensuring they are there for those who need it, when they need it. You support programs and services like:
- Safer sex and safer drug use supply distribution to anyone who connects with us for support. Nobody is turned away.
- Naloxone training and support, and opiod replacement therapies
- Onsite and after hours sharps disposal to support individual and community safety
- Program staff who work to ensure services are accessible and flexible in order to meet individuals where they are at.
Nine Circles contributed to and fully endorses the WRHA Position Statement on Harm Reduction. Read it here.
REASON #2: WE WALK THE TALK ON “NOTHING ABOUT US, WITHOUT US”
The evidence is clear: Interventions work best when the communities they are intended for are directly involved in development, implementation and evaluation. Your support through the Scotiabank AIDS Walk, allows us to continue and strengthen our efforts to ensure positions and programs are developed by and for the communities we serve.
- The concepts of “Client Centred”, “Self Determination” and “Greater and Meaningful Involvement of people living with HIV” have always driven the work of Nine Circles.
- From our Board of Directors to research teams and committees, between 50% and 65% of those who contributed to program development, evaluation and messaging last year where able to share their lived experience.
- Upcoming projects will incorporate more opportunities. This fall, peer research assistants with lived experience will implement the HIV Stigma in Manitoba Study. The results will be used to develop future projects aimed at addressing HIV stigma and improving the health, well-being and community participation of people living with HIV.
REASON #3: WE WALK THE TALK ON HEALTH EQUITY
When it comes to health, we don’t all start from the same place. While some health differences or inequalities are not modifiable, many are associated with poverty, homophobia, HIV Stigma, racism and colonizing practices.
Your support allows Nine Circles to continue our work towards eliminating health gaps through our services and influencing systems for change.
- Nine Circles offers outreach testing services and primary care outreach to help clients stay connected in difficult times.
- Our Manitoba HIV Program partnerships work to help people with HIV connect to care from anywhere in Manitoba.
- Our Manitoba HIV/STBBI Collective Impact Network, supports community collaboration, sharing of resources and putting the needs of the community first.
REASON #4: WE WALK THE TALK ON THE SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH
The primary factors that shape the health of Canadians are not medical treatments or lifestyle choices but rather the living conditions they experience. Food Insecurity, Social Exclusion and a lack of Social Safety Networks are significant barriers for many folks in our community. These types of services are also the most dependent on community donations.
Your support allows Nine Circles to offer programs that address people’s WHOLE health, and provide a safe and inclusive space for everyone who attends. We offer:
- Drop-in group activities to support social connection
- Orientation to community resources and individual safety plan support
- Food bank for people living with HIV
- Access to a telephone or computer to stay connected
- Access to washrooms, water, and a place to warm up or cool off