Nine Circles STI/HIV Testing Services
Nine Circles’ STI Clinic offers safe, non-judgmental and confidential STI/HIV testing and treatment in Winnipeg. There are two ways to access our testing services:
- Booked Appointments
- Appointments are available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Call 204-940-6000 to make an appointment.
- Drop-in STI Testing (No appointment needed)
- If it’s difficult for you to make an appointment and show up at a specific time, consider our drop-in hours
- Wednesdays 12:30pm to 7pm
- registration starts at 12pm at the front desk
- when you register, you’ll be put on a list for appointments, first come-first served
- the first testing appointment is at 12:30pm
- the last testing appointment is at 7pm
- The length of an appointment can range from 30-60 minutes
- Unfortunately, on some of our busier afternoons or when we have less testers available, the wait times can be up to several hours. We understand that waiting can be difficult but appreciate your patience.
- Occasionally, on particularly busy days, we may have to cut off the list before 7pm, to ensure everyone in line gets seen. Thanks for your understanding.
- You can always call us in advance at 204-940-6000 to see if there are drop-in testing spots available
Talking about our sexual health can sometimes be awkward, but our staff will do their best to make you feel comfortable. We’ll start by asking you some questions and addressing any questions or concerns you may have. Our thorough assessments make sure that you are given the best screening and recommendations moving forward.
At Nine Circles, we believe that everyone has the right to be treated with respect, be safe, and be active in their own care. For more information, view our Client Rights and Responsibilities.
Kinds of tests
Testing is fairly simple, but we’ve broken down the different types of tests and how they are done:
HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C
HIV screening may be offered through a rapid test. Results are received during the clinic visit
Throat swabs and Rectal swabs to test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea as needed
Pap smears available for individuals who are due for a pap according the Manitoba Cervix Check Guidelines
Getting Your Results
Most of the above tests take 2 weeks to complete. A nurse will ONLY contact you if you have tested positive, require further care, or there is another concern with your results.
It’s important to remember that many infections we test for are curable or treatable with antibiotics or antivirals. Some medications can come in pill form or may require an injection, but many of the treatments are available onsite and can be prescribed during your visit.
HIV Testing Options
Nine circles offers four different forms of HIV tests:
- Name-based (Nominal) Testing –A blood sample is sent to the lab using your name.
- Coded (Non-Nominal) Testing – A blood sample is sent to the lab using a code for some anonymity but remains in your permanent medical history.
- Anonymous Testing – A blood sample is sent to the lab using a code that only you have access to. You must return to the clinic with your code in order to get your test results. Your results are not kept permanently or indefinitely; three months after your testing your anonymous chart is destroyed. Your test results are not made part of your regular medical chart.
- Point of Care Test (POCT) – Nine Circles offers a rapid HIV screening test. This is a finger poke test and you’ll get your results within 1 minute during the clinic visit.
Where Else to get Tested
To find other places in the community where you are able to access STBBI testing visit the Street Connections Service Map
Below are important links to websites with vital information regarding STI/HIV testing:
Sexual Health Information Line Phone
- 204-945-2437, Toll Free: 1-800-782-2437